Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Pallavi Aiyar on India and China

Interview and links here:Smoke and Mirrors: China and India. One of the links has links to excepts from her book :SMOKE & MIRRORS WINS THE VODAFONE CROSSWORD POPULAR BOOK AWARD, 2008.
An article in Asia TimesIn the men's room, China leaves India standing and a longer article:India' Untouchables and China's Internal Migrants.
From :China through Indian eyes:
"But were I one of the millions-strong legions of cleaners, sweepers, janitors or night soil workers in India, I would probably prefer by some twist of karma to have been born Chinese.

But on other days I felt differently. There were days when I spent hours hunting for a Chinese source amongst the country’s think tanks, universities and research institutes for fresh insight or an alternative point of view on an issue for a story I had been working on. It was always such dishearteningly hard work."

No comments: