Sunday, March 04, 2007

Globalization rhetoric

Robin Verghese at 3quarksdaily gives links to an exchange between Jeff Faux and Brad De Long on globalization and trade with China. There are links to other articles and a follow up in Crooked Timber. The arguments and some of the comments are interesting but I am left with the same feeling as somebody who said:
"Mr. DeLong,

Please tell me how you would move forward.

I keep reading and this sounds more like the squabbles we readers have with each other than respectful disagreement between learned individuals. Do you guys have the ability to downrate each other???

I see the arguments on both sides, but the clear level of distrust you may be hearing is that for all of globalization's benefits to the world, the abject poor are still not being recognized. If the promises of globalization are to be realized, it seems that some intervening actions must be taken by the civil societies that are not strictly economic."

3 comments:

Rajeev Ramachandran said...

Hi Gaddeswarup
I seem to recall you once asked me re the work of Daron Acemoglu. I don't think I ever replied. However, this maye interest you: http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2007/03/shimer_on_acemo_1.html

gaddeswarup said...

Thanks Rajeev. You did respond last time saying that you found Acemoglu interesting but the issues are too complex or some thing to that effect. I will look through some of his arguments again; the comments in the link you gave seem to find his work interesting. Please do pass on any items that you find interesting. I will try to read them. At the moment babysitting and cooking for wife and daughters (who come at different times since they do not talk to each other) is taking a lot of my time.

Alex said...

Globalization works on 'trickle down theory' which unfortunately does not work, and especially in India.


Undergraduate Economist