Monday, June 20, 2022

My friend Nagisetty Venkateswara Rao

 My last communication with Rao Nagisetty was on March 22. He has Parkinson's and it has been increasingly difficult  to communicate. His mind is still sharp and once in a while he would send messages. One of his messages from March 22:


That is quite generous of you. My memories of your parents and brother are with me. I have fond memories of you. I don't know what will happen to these memories hereafter but  for now they keep me warm.

......

I have known him since 1954 -56 when we were classmates. Then he went to Andhra University and I to Madras. We were also colleagues in TIFR for a few years. He was the best in our class but he wore it with some deprecation and charm. He is very warm hearted and personally very kind to me during difficult periods. In the mid eighties I found myself without a job in USA. He arranged a summer job for me in Toledo. I was difficult, did not get along with his wife and had health problems. He used to take me to doctors and gave me lifts to the university when I could not walk. My family was in Austin and it was a difficult period. He saw me through with great kindness and affection. He also persuaded the university to try to hire me. He almost succeeded and I heard that the department was ready to offer me a job but the university president decided to hire a cook. The university kindly invited me later to give special lectures.

Unfortunately I was intolerant when I noticed any sort of dogmatism or high self esteem and cut him off a few times. But he took it his stride and tolerated me. It is not clear whether I will ever see him again. In one of his last communications, he said that he was planning to leave by December.

No comments: