Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Chennupati Jagadish

i came to know about him when a friend inquired about possibilities for reasearch in nanotechnology in Australia. Dome biographical details about him here and here "My interest in science started during my childhood. I was born in a small village in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India, and studied in front of a kerosene lamp until I completed seventh grade. My father was a school teacher, and he migrated to an even more remote village in the state of Telangana to start farming, as I come from a farming family. High school was about two miles from my village, and my father realized that I couldn't walk every day to school, considering that I used to be weak and often became sick. He mentioned this problem to his high school classmate and mathematics and science teacher in the high school in the neighboring village who suggested, “why don't you ask him to stay with us?” So I ended up living with my mathematics and science teacher during high school and completed 10th grade. This was a turning point in my life.
I had another mathematics teacher who was also a teacher for my father. In addition to my parents, both of these teachers inspired and supported me in childhood. One teacher taught me the importance of hard work, perseverance, and persistence, and the other teacher taught me to be simple, honest, humble, and kind and generous to others by being a positive example."

No comments: