Chris Blattman links to a recent survey If you read one thing about microfinance, read this:
- Only about one in four or five households wanted a small loan.
- Some of them used the money to grow their very small businesses. But this rarely led to higher profits.
- None of the seven studies found a significant impact on household income.
- And there’s no evidence it empowered women or led more children to go to school.
- But the loans give a little freedom. People make the same money as before, but in different activities that they chose."