Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A momentary aberration

From a poetry discussion by space_bar, a quote of Revathy Gopal:

I could match her now, word for word.
I could meet her now, on equal terms. I think
I could draw blood.

('Lines on Meeting a Cousin, Long-Lost'. Revathy Gopal)

Even out of context, as space_bar says, it stands by itself. I think that I have seen this sort of emotion among cousins and sisters (men actually draw blood, I think). I tried to see how to say it in Telugu. Since I do not know any thing about metre, I freely translated thus:

ఇప్పుడు మా అక్కంటె నాకు అంత లెక్క లేదు
దానితో సమానంగా వాదించగలను
దాని వంక చురచురా చూడగలను
కావాలంటే ఒక వాత కూడా పెడతా
Any other versions are welcome.

3 comments:

kaytrout said...

ippudu dAni mATaku mATa badulivvagalanu

kaLLu kalapagalanu, dAni

debbaku debba teeyagalanu

Or

raktam kaLLa chUDagalanu (The last line, alternatively).

gaddeswarup said...

Thanks.
Swarup

gaddeswarup said...

I still find it easier to read Telugu in Telugu script. Here it is using lekhini
http://lekhini.org/
ఇప్పుదు దాని మాటకు మాట బదులివ్వగలను

కళ్ళు కలపగలను, దాని

దెబ్బకు దెబ్బ తీయగలను
లేక
రక్తం కళ్ళ చూడగలను