Saturday, February 10, 2007

Links 2/11/07

Browsed through these and should look at them again:
1)
Asghar Ali Engineer on Ram-Prasad's 'Hindu View of Islam'
2)
lectue notes on evolutionary psychology and related topics. It has also links to online resources.
3)
Mark Thoma's views on markets with lots of comments. Back to the basics
4)
an exposition of Stolper-Samuelson Theorem and discusses an application (?).
5)
Toxoplasma gondii
involved in sex ratios (?).
Trivers-Willard Hypothesis
on sex ratios
6)
Discover on Sarah Hrdy.

Sarah Hrdy has a good discussion of sex ratios in her book 'Mother Nature'. I am reading this book for the second time immediately after first reading. At the moment, I feel that this one of the best popular science books that I have read. I tried to buy copies for my daughters but it is not available in Melbourne. Many of the book shops have several books by Diamond, Pinker and others but not this one. I wonder why? Robert Trivers, Matt Ridley, Frank Sulloway and others have high praise for the book. Here is Judge Posner's comment from the blurbs:
" A superb book ... It establishes more covincingly than any other book with which I am familar the relevance of the study of (other) primates and of human evolution to urgent current issues of public policy involving women, children, and family"
Over to you Annie.

No comments: