Saturday, December 31, 2005

Another New Year


As new years come and go, I keep remembering a waiter that I met in Hyderabad in 1960. That was my second stint at university, I left home after a fight with my father. I had very little money, and stayed in a hostel which charged thirty rupees a month and gave two bad meals a day. I was young and used to feel very hungry and whenever I had some money, I used to visit a restaurant in Narayanaguda and eat a masaldosa which cost twentyfive paise. Somehow, a waiter discerned my condition and offered that I can charge to his account and pay whenever I had money. I do not remember his name and never saw him after those two years in Hyderabad. Now that my children are earning more money than I did when I retired, spend it on gadgets and world trips and expect expensive bail outs, I keep wondering how I can repay that waiter. Happy new year to all.
Swarup

No comments: